Friday, August 5, 2011

Mango Sorbet

So tomorrow I'm going to finally try to make mango gelato. This sorbet is good, but it's just not quite cutting this hankerin' of mine for gelato.
I have a small case of mangoes that have ripened, which gives me room for a second try, if I need one.

The best part about the sorbet is that it's a way healthier choice than the gelato. The sorbet is virtually fat and cholesterol free, and contains very little added sugar. In fact, my mangoes were already so sweet I didn't really need to add the sugar that I did.

The gelato, on the other hand, has both fat & cholesterol (from the egg yolks & heavy cream) and quite a bit more sugar added. BUT, that is probably why I like it better! Why do so many of my favorites have to be so bad for me!? Gah!

So I am going to make it, enjoy it for a day, and give away any leftovers!
That is, of coarse, if there is any leftovers!

Here's the recipe for the way less naughty sorbet:




Mango Sorbet

Ingredients:
4 mangoes, peeled & seeded
2 tsp fresh lime juice
1/2 cup simple syrup (or more or less, to taste)
To make the simple syrup, boil 2 cups of water with 2 cups of sugar. Let syrup cool before using it. Store any leftovers in a glass jar in the refrigerator.

Instructions:
Puree the mangoes, and if you prefer, push them through a strainer to get rid of any stringy pulp. (I didn't do this, and it was just fine.)
Combine the pureed mango, lime juice and as much simple syrup as you like, depending on the sweetness you desire.
Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
Store in a freezer-safe container, and let freeze for an hour or two before serving.
Enjoy!

Stay tuned for the "naughtier" gelato recipe. If it turns out good I'll be sharing it as well!

4 comments:

  1. That sounds really good. I just finished off my mangos this morning, but hopefully BB will have them again soon. Instead of the syrup, I'm going to add a bit of agave nectar; sugar tends to make me hurt. Thanks for the recipe! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agave would be great in this! I substitue lots of stuff w/agave & honey but I was out of honey & short on agave (the kids use it in their cereal). Great idea Myrn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I miss this post? Yum! I love mangoes, I'm going to give this a try.

    (Gorgeous photographs too, as always.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Averil! I haven't update in so long. Too many other things occupying my life!
    Because of your photography genius, I get a little high hearing that last sentence from you!
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete