Monday, October 4, 2010

Chile Rellenos

Here is an old post I never published.
I will post a new one tomorrow!

Two weeks ago we bought a "Mexican Pack" as an add on to our co-op basket.
We received several onions, jalapenos, cilantro, tomatillos, garlic, serranos, avocados and what I knew as pasilla chiles.

(roasted chiles)

When I pulled them out and exclaimed that we got "pasillas" and I was going to try my hand at making Chile Rellenos, I was politely corrected by my Mr. that they were, in fact, poblanos and not pasillas.
I replied by telling him, politely, that they are the same chiles my dear Mexican friend Adriana makes her Chile Rellenos with and they are indeed called poblanos.
This "polite" banter about chiles went on for some time until I finally just said whatever and was going to make Chile Rellenos out of them anyways.

(sauce)

After searching and searching for the right "Authentic" Chile Relleno recipe, I had it narrowed down to three. I then took what tips, tricks and ingredients I liked from each and tried it my own way.

(Chile Relleno -sort of)

They were incredibly difficult to make! Messy and tricky and I almost cried several times because my seams kept tearing!
But- They were pretty good. Not at all like the wonderful handmade Chile Rellenos Adriana makes, but we still enjoyed them for Saturday lunch.
I really should have her come over so I can photo-document her making them!

(ooey gooey yummy)

Oh, and by the way...pasilla chiles are also known as poblano chiles, and chilaca chiles. Go figure!

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious - maybe pretty spicy, too?

    My mom came over recently a roasted some pablanos on my store and it made the house smell so delicious. And they were SO good too.

    ReplyDelete