Sunday, October 24, 2010

Marinated Chicken and Beautiful Apple Pie

This marinated chicken recipe is something I learned about ten years ago from my dear friend Adriana.
It is quick, easy, and great for using up all the citrus on the counter that is about to spoil!

All you need is:


(4-6 Boneless/skinless chicken breasts, 2 oranges, 2 lemons, 2 limes, 1-2 onions (sliced into rings), garlic salt, season salt & pepper to taste.

Trim the chicken of excess fat. Sprinkle with the salts & pepper. Layer with sliced onions. Squeeze the juices of all the citrus over the top of the onions and chicken. Allow to marinate for 3-5 hours. (If you're me, you'll run some errands and be back just in time to cook it up!)



You can cook it in a couple tablespoons of vegetable oil, olive oil, or if you are naughty like me, throw in a couple tablespoons of butter.
Throw it all into a skillet and cook on medium-high until onions are tender and juices run clear on the chicken.

Let the chicken rest for a couple of minutes so they keep the juices inside. Then slice up and return to the pan where you can toss with the onions.


I like to make some pico de gallo:

(cilantro, onions, limes, tomatoes, jalapenos)

These fiery little things came from our garden. They were so hot I ended up adding another tomato and blending the pico into a smooth salsa.



I like to eat them in a toasted corn tortilla with sour cream & pico de gallo (I forgot to get a picture of the fully dressed taco!)


This marinating method is also good with thinly sliced beef (carne asada) and then grilled on the BBQ. Sometimes we even throw in a can of beer when we are marinating the beef. Both ways are delicious!

Now for the Beautiful Apple pie. No recipe here, I'm just sharing a picture of a pie my friend Annie made for me the other day.


This was her first time making pie crust! How talented is she! She seems to be good at the things I am not. Like pie crusts and bread! She has a natural talent for bread that I am extremely jealous of and it now looks like she can do pastry too!
It was so pretty I didn't want to cut into it! But I did, and was glad I did because it was delicious too!


One day I will devote some of my time to getting good at both pastries and breads. I've too many things on my proverbial plate right now!

3 comments:

  1. I seriously need to come to dinner at your place. Or you could open a restaurant! Too bad I live 1000 miles away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rey! Annie sent me to your blog(s), and I'm so impressed! I do this marinade, too, and the whole family loves it. Over the years, I've added honey, fresh garlic and sliced jalapenos into the mix, which I think kicks it up another notch. Just the other day, I went totally crazy and did it with no citrus at all but used Clamato for the juice -- wow, that was really good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm writing this down Amy! Thanks! I'm always up for trying new ways to spice up chicken!
    Thanks for stoppin by!

    ReplyDelete