Thursday, August 26, 2010

What we ate this week; Trying new things!

Well technically, this is what we ate last week since I've been a little slack in the update area.
I've been covering another shift at work and so I've been a little sluggish in the late evening when most of the "free time" happens. School is starting on Monday and I'm looking forward to finding a routine again. Perhaps it will make my journaling a little more organized as well!

So- This is what we ate!

Monday: Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken (allrecipes), sauteed wax beans & salad w/prosciutto.




(Grilled Honey-Mustard Chicken)

(Sauteed Wax Beans)


(Green Salad)


(Prosciutto for Salad)

Tuesday: Hawaiian Salted Pork (allrecipes), Bok Choy Salad (all recipes) Dessert: Tai Sweet Rice with Mango (allrecipes)

(Hawaiian Salted Pork)

(Bok Choy Salad)

(Tai Sweet Rice)

Wednesday: Dennis' Lemon Garlic Salmon (hubby's recipe), Spaghetti Squash (from neighbors garden), Green Salad

(Dennis' Lemon Garlic Salmon)

(Spaghetti Squash)

Thursday: Homemade Pizzas (easy dough recipe from this site), Dessert: Poached Pears(Cooking With Amy) with homemade syrup and vanilla ice cream.

(Pizza fixings: tomatoes, mushrooms, olives, artichoke hearts, buffalo mozzarella, fresh basil, bruschetta seasonings, prosciutto, fresh garlic & white onion)

(All put together and going into the oven)

(Coming out of the oven)

(Poached Pears w/vanilla icecream & syrup)

Friday: Minestroni Soup, Homemade bread from a friend, artichokes

(Minestroni Soup)

(Artichokes & homemade bread)

Other Miscellaneous things we made and ate were Banana Bread (all recipes)

and just as I promised...

Homemade Pickles!

There were lots of favorites this week. The Salmon, Hawaiian Pork & Honey Mustard Chicken are all old favorites. I suggest trying the recipe links for them. I figure anything the whole family likes and will eat more than once in a two month period is an awesome recipe in my book!
Some of the new favorites were the Bok Choy Salad. My husband was eye-balling it skeptically but ended up eating all of the left overs for lunch the next day.
The homemade pizzas were fun and good. It was our first time using stoneware. I didn't have a pizza stone so I used an old pampered chef stoneware. It makes all the difference in the crust! No more soggy middle!


The pears, by far, were the absolute favorite. I FINALLY found a cooked fruit my oldest kid likes! After searching a while, I found a recipe that didn't contain any alcohol. (Not that I don't mind, but my kids do!) They were super yummy, but I will double the sauce next time.
The minestroni was good. But it was a cheater recipe! We used a Bear Creek Mix as the base and added all sorts of good stuff to it!
The least favorite would be the Tai Sweet Rice. It may just be that we've never really eaten Tai food, but the flavor combination was weird. I think if we would have left off the sesame seeds then it may have been better. It was one of those things you take a bite of and you're just not so sure you like it, then, you take another and you think maybe it is good. It was just strange!


As for the banana bread and the pickles, it was mixed reviews. I think the banana bread had an awesome flavor. Unfortunately, I had to leave for an hour and I left my poor husband to take them out of the oven. He swears the toothpicks came out clean but they were fairly gooey in the middle.
The pickles were fairly spicey. So half of us liked them and the other half didn't. I hope to be trying another recipe soon. Maybe we'll get some more English Cucumbers in our basket this weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah for pickles! I'm coming to your house for dinner - WOW! Those wax beans looked delicious and I love how your simple green salad look so amazing.

    I think I need to go open a jar of pickles...

    ReplyDelete